Injured in an Auto Accident?
Even when you do your best to drive defensively and avoid danger on the road, unfortunately you can’t control risk factors like bad weather, poor road conditions, vehicle malfunctions, or the actions of other drivers. As a result of these and other factors, car accidents happen throughout the Houston area every day. While many of these accidents are mere fender-benders that can be resolved with a call to the insurance company, some are much more severe, resulting in major damage and injury, ultimately leading to expensive medical bills and other frustrating complications.
If you find yourself the victim of a serious crash, there are a number of steps you can take to make sure you get the best possible outcome—including finding the right Houston car accident lawyer to represent you. Fortunately, the experts at Johnson Garcia LLP can help you navigate the stressful legal aspects of your case, as well as help you get the compensation you need while you recover.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Immediately following the crash, you’ll likely find yourself in a state of shock, confusion, and perhaps even anger. It is important that you take a moment to compose yourself and get into as calm a mindset as possible before speaking with the other driver or talking to police. Once you’re ready to deal with the situation appropriately, take the following steps:
- Check on the condition of any passengers and note whether you or anyone else in the vehicle require medical attention. If anyone is seriously injured, pinned, bleeding, or unresponsive, call 911 immediately and request emergency response.
- Even if no one has been hurt, you’ll need to call the police to get a complete report before you or anyone else involved leaves the scene of the accident. If there are witnesses who have stayed to check on you, make sure that they talk to the police about what they saw.
- Exchange insurance information with the truck driver. When talking to the driver (or to any witnesses or police officers, for that matter), do not admit fault or say anything that might accidentally suggest fault on your part (e.g., “I should have seen it coming!”).
- Make notes about the entire accident, including what you remember happening, any details you noticed (even if they seem unnecessary), where the vehicles ended up, the timing of events, etc. Take various pictures of the scene to show the vehicle damage, the positioning of the vehicles at rest, any tire tracks or debris, personal injuries, etc. The more information, the better.
- When the police report is complete and everyone is safe, call the insurance company to file a claim.
- As soon as you can, contact a trusted car accident lawyer in Houston. The attorneys at Johnson Garcia LLP can help you organize your information, file any necessary paperwork, and walk you through your rights as a victim.
The Importance of Having an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
When you’re dealing with medical bills, insurance policies, loss of income, disability paperwork, and other stressors after a car accident, the last thing you need is to worry about whether you have the right legal representation. Without an experienced lawyer on your side, you risk being taken advantage of by insurance agencies and trucking company representatives who simply want to close the case and move on, regardless of whether you’ve been properly compensated for the damage you’ve suffered.
When you retain a Houston car accident lawyer from Johnson Garcia LLP, you receive the benefit of years of experience helping Houston area clients receive the full amount they deserve to cover costs and other losses related to their accident. Our attorneys specialize in personal injury and related insurance and business disputes, giving injured citizens the professional support and legal assistance they need to move forward without struggling. Call us at (832) 241-5465 to set up your free consultation today.
How We Can Help You After an Accident
At Johnson Garcia LLP, we understand that the period after a car accident can be a very confusing and emotional time. We also know that building a good case for proper compensation requires professional care and expertise. Whether you’re fighting for medical coverage from the insurance company or are in a dispute with another party involved in the crash, you can trust us to do the following:
- Provide a free initial consultation to discuss your case
- Gather and organize all relevant information to build an accurate picture of what happened and create a strong case
- Reference relevant laws and legal precedents as necessary
- Walk you through the legal process, including explaining your legal rights and obligations, as well as filing necessary paperwork
- Seek the full amount of coverage up to insurance policy limits
- Help you understand the process of seeking disability for injuries that keep you from working
Common Causes and Types of Car Accidents
Car accidents can occur in a variety of ways and be caused by a number of hazards. Drivers can be side-swiped by someone making a careless lane change, T-boned by someone running a red light at an intersection, rear-ended by a negligent driver who fails to stop, hit head-on by someone driving on the wrong side of a two-way road, etc. The following are just a few examples of hazards and situations that can lead to a serious car accident:
- Snow, rain, ice, fog, and other inclement weather can create poor visibility and/or slippery road conditions that make it difficult for drivers to see other cars or maintain control of their vehicles.
- Negligent or distracted driving can cause a person to hit another vehicle by drifting out of their lane, failing to stop, changing lanes without looking, etc.
- Intoxication from drugs or alcohol can cause a driver to act recklessly and struggle to maintain control.
- Sudden hazards like downed trees, animals, road damage, and other unexpected issues can cause drivers to suddenly swerve or stop, increasing the risk of an accident.
- In some especially egregious cases, individuals may drive recklessly on purpose, perhaps because they are thrill seekers or because they are experiencing road rage and want to intentionally cause harm to other drivers.
For more information, be sure to download and share our infographic on the most common causes of car accidents.
Common Injuries Sustained by Accident Victims
Whatever the cause or type of car accident, victims are at risk of sustaining a variety of injuries. In most cases, these injuries are relatively minor and can be treated fairly easily. In very severe crashes, however, injuries can be quite serious and even life-threatening. Common injuries that can occur as a result of a car accident include the following:
- Concussions (potentially with permanent brain damage)
- Cuts, abrasions, and bruising
- Crushed, broken, or fractured limbs
- Internal organ damage and bleeding
- Spinal damage (often leading to chronic back pain)
- Skull and facial fractures
In addition to these and other potential injuries, an especially severe car accident can be fatal to one or more of the individuals involved. In such cases, the families of the deceased victims may be able to seek damages for their loss with the help of a good attorney.
Car Accident Statistics
According to data from the Texas Department of Transportation, 265,076 individuals were injured in motor vehicle accidents in the year 2016 (including cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.). There were also 3,733 fatal crashes statewide that year, resulting in an alarming rate of one person killed every two hours and 20 minutes. Sadly, the state of Texas did not see a single fatality-free day in 2016, with the month of October seeing the most fatalities overall (382 deaths).
Hurt in a Car Accident? Contact the Expert Attorneys at Johnson Garcia LLP
When you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may not have the physical ability, mental energy, or relevant knowledge to handle all aspects of the situation on your own. If you’re struggling to get coverage for medical bills and other expenses or find yourself engaged in a dispute about employer disability, you need the help of an experienced car accident lawyer in Houston to get the support you need.
At Johnson Garcia LLP, we work hard to get you the outcome you deserve as the victim of a serious car accident. With our years of experience in personal injury cases and our strong expertise in insurance and business disputes, we can help you get the money you need and guide you through the sometimes stressful process of filing a suit.
We take our cases so seriously that we make it a point never to take from clients who can’t afford to give. Your initial consultation is completely free, and if we don’t recover damages for you, we don’t get paid—it’s just that simple.
To learn more about what we can do for you or set up an appointment to discuss your case with one of our personal injury lawyers, call Johnson Garcia LLP today at (832) 241-5465, or fill out our contact form online.
Frequently Asked Questions*
A: No. When claims are resolved, the other side will often require that you sign a release. However, signing a release before you have been made whole can impact your ability to recover. Speak with a lawyer at Johnson Garcia LLP before you sign anything.
Q: No, the insurance company for the other driver is not on your side. Thus, we recommend that you call the lawyers at Johnson Garcia to help handle responding to these requests for information. We know the ways the other side may be trying to hurt your case and will make sure you have someone in your corner from the beginning.
A: After a serious accident, you should hire someone to fight for you immediately. At Johnson Garcia LLP, we know from years of experience that the other side will often immediately begin preparing to fight against you. This means they will look for ways to pay you less than what you deserve. Don’t let them treat you or your loved ones unfairly. At Johnson Garcia, we know what you’re facing and will make sure you have the upper hand.
*Note: Our FAQs are intended solely for informational purposes and should not be relied or construed upon as legal advice. Each case presents different facts that must be evaluated independently under law. Call us for a free case evaluation.832-844-6700